Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Priming and Painting

Well not much to say. Primed and painted the boat. Here's a shot showing the boat in primer. I put two coats on. It seemed a little thin even though it was good primer/sealer.

Here's a shot showing the boat with three coats of exterior latex. The color is called windjammer. I don't know if it's me or what but I remember paint being thicker, thus the three coats.

Next I turned it over and gave the bottom two coats of primer.

Showing the bottom in blue.

I hung up the leeboard, rudder parts, and tiller parts so I could paint all surfaces at the same time. I let them hang dry. Everything is one color for now. I may spice it up with another color later.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mast partner and step

Arrh maties. I had to take a break from building for a while. I moved and had other stuff going on. What's a pirate's favorite restaurant? Arrrbees.

Here's the mast partner installed with the front brace. I'm going to omit the back brace for now as it's strong enough as it is and I want to think about how I want to use the space with regards to flotation and storage. The partner sits on two cleats attached to the hull sides. If you've got this far on the boat, the partner is easy imho.

Here's the mast step installed below the partner. It's attached to the hull by epoxy and screws. I used 2 pieces of 1/2" ply glued together to make a single 1" inch thick piece 12"X6" in size. I'm using a thicker step because I'm going to attempt to build and use a Chinese junk sail rig which weighs more than the sunfish sail rig that is recommended for this boat. For now I'm not cutting the hole for the mast as I'm still figuring out the mast size. It shouldn't be a problem to do it later.